Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Make It Easy Monday

Since I missed this past Monday, as well as last week's post, I have two tips for making your life a wee bit easier.

1. Straightening out the tie backs on shirts and dresses in a hurry.


Now in this case, the whole dress needs ironed. But there are times that just the tie backs are all wrinkled and scrunched up. Now if you have time to break out the iron and ironing board, go for it. But if you're always in a rush like me, give this a shot.

I use a hair straightener, yes a hair straightener, to smooth these out real quick.

While you put on your jewelry, let the straightener heat up. Once the light starts blinking, go ahead and turn it off to prevent scorching.(Only use this method on fabrics that contain a high percentage of cotton.) Then simply "straighten" the tie backs.

Unlike when you straighten your hair, you'll want to pull the fabric through the straightener. Rather than pulling the straightener downward.

My other hand would be at the top of this picture pulling the fabric through, but it was too busy holding the camera you see...


 And there you have it.
A nice straight tie back in a couple minutes time.


2. Speaking of clothing, one thing I can't stand is when clothing companies sew in those annoying ribbons in the armpit of the dress for you to use when hanging it up.
Unless the dress is strapless, there's no point. Really. Just leave them out.


So after years of the ole snip snip. The light bulb finally went off, and it hit me that I should be reusing these colorful strips of ribbon! Boy did I feel dumb.

I've starting keeping my stash in a little box to use for all kinds of projects.
Jewelry making, little bows for gift wrapping, and most recently for hanging up things.

Like these little baskets that I have hanging from the rail in my craft armoire. 

Hope this helps to make life a tad bit easier.
Till next time.

Mary






No comments:

Post a Comment